I have run my civil law litigation practice since 1982, specializing in employment and labor law on behalf of employees. My cases have included claims for wage and hour violations, minimum wage and overtime, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, defamation, invasion of privacy, breach of contract, civil rights violations, ERISA claims for unpaid pension and long term disability benefits. My cases have also included personal injury tort claims, and business torts.
My litigation experience includes civil trials, arbitration, federal and state appeals, administrative hearings and mediation. I also provide mediation services to parties before and during litigation. I have appeared before California Courts of Appeal, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, United States District Court in the Northern and Central Districts, California Superior Courts, the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, the United States Department of Labor, the Merit Systems Protection Board, the National Association of Securities Dealer (now FINRA), and the American Arbitration Association.
On behalf of my clients I have filed lawsuits in court and in arbitration, and administrative claims, against the following employers or disability plans (partial list):
Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, The Permanente Medical Group, Shields Harper & Company, Inter-Con Security Systems, Inc., Denny’s, Inc., Blackhawk Information Services, Inc., City of Berkeley, Alameda County Medical Center, Downtown Auto Center, East Bay Conservation Corp., The May Department Stores Company, KSL Claremont Resort, Inc., Adhesives Coating Company, Cinder Block, Inc., Douglas Parking LLC, Barber Auto Sales, Inc., Seagate Technology, San Francisco Printing Company, The Altenheim, Inc., La Tapatia Norcal, Inc., Tosco Refining Company, Inc., Wedbush Morgan Securities, Inc., Monex Deposit Company, H & R Block, San Pablo Casino, The Nicest Guys Around, Inc., Providian Financial Corporation, Tempcare LLC, Life Insurance Company of North American dba Cigna Disability Management Solutions, Ex’pression Center For New Media, Inc., The Picture People, Inc., Penhall Company.
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California.
J.D. May 1980; Law Review;
- Judicial Externship to Presiding Justice Wakefield Taylor,
First District, Division One, California Court of Appeal, writing opinion memoranda.
- California State University, San Francisco, California.
M.A. June 1972; Research psychology; Master’s thesis on conflict resolution: “Personality Correlates of Prisoner’s Dilemma Play: MMPI, Math Skills, and Field Independence.”
- University of California, Berkeley, California.
B.A. May 1963; Research psychology.
- Ombudsman Training: Ombudsman 101, The Ombudsman Association, 2004
- Mediation Training: 40-hour training Program, Steven Rosenberg, 2005.
- LAW OFFICE OF ALEXANDER G. van BROEK, Oakland and San Francisco, CA.
- Civil litigation practice emphasizing employment and labor law on behalf of employees, including wage and hour violations, overtime and compensatory time-off, minimum wage, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, defamation, invasion of privacy, intellectual property rights, severance plans, breach of contract, civil rights violations, class action claims for unfair business practices, ERISA claims for unpaid pension and long term disability benefits, workplace torts, and business torts.
- Litigations experience includes civil trials, appeals, and administrative hearings before California Courts of Appeal, United States District Court, California Superior Courts, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, and United States Department of Labor.
SILVER & SIEGEL, 1182 Market Street, San Francisco, California.
- Legal experience as a law clerk working primarily on federal civil rights and discrimination claims, organization of evidence, legal research, and statistical analysis.
- EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION, San Francisco, California.
- Computer systems analysis and programming, supervising a team of four programmers, to provide analysis of employment records in two major race discrimination class actions.
- COMPUTER PROGRAMMER AND SYSTEMS ANALYST, San Francisco, California.
- Computer software consultant, programmer and analyst on micro and mainframe computers for users in law, insurance, manufacturing, shipping and health care. Experience includes supervision of programmers and staff in complex commercial projects.
- Judge Pro Tem: Alameda County Superior Court, Small Claims,1999 – present.
- Commissioner: Oakland Citizen’s Police Review Board, 1992 -1995.
- Arbitrator: American Arbitration Association Commercial Panel, 1984 – 1990.
- Arbitrator: California State Bar Fee Dispute Panel, 1984 – present.
- Arbitrator: Alameda County Bar Association Fee Dispute Panel, 2004 – present.
- Member: Alameda County Bar Association, Lawyer Referral Panel.
- Member: Bar Association of San Francisco.
- Member: National Employment Lawyers Association.
- Member: California Employment Lawyers Association.
- Member: Alameda-Contra Costa County Trial Lawyers Association.
- Member: The Ombudsman Association